Saturday, February 21, 2009

Fixed gear. . yes or no?

Im still up in air on the fixed gear trend. In alot of ways I can dig it. Its fast, its slightly dangerous, and its on a bike. All of these are pretty rad reasons for me to want one, and in alot of ways I do. On the other hand; it has its down falls. Namely the fact that I live in the hills, which would make traversing any amount of ground very difficult on a bike I couldnt stop pedaling on. Not to mention that fixed gears (or fixies if your in the loop) have become the new "scene" kid craze. Although I actualy converse with many of the scene kids in my area; I still cant stand behind anykind of trend like this.

There is something though that has pushed me a little closer to the mindset of wanting a fixed gear bicycle.

The group of men that we all know in the bmx community as some of the craziest and coolest motherfuckers in the scene have come out with a new line of fixed gear frame and forks. The guys over at FBM bicycles has thrown me in a loop with some radest shit Ive seen for anything besides my beloved bmx.

This is their stylish yet still understated frame "The SWORD". Although the name is kinda over stated its still rad as fuck. . . it comes in other colors too.


These of course are thier oh so sexy forks! Notice those sexy colors and the beautiful craftmanship!




This is exactley how I imagine a fixed gear bike. Clean, smoothed lined, and fast.



Ok, so maybe it isnt smooth and clean, but it sure is fast and sexy. If nothing else, its bad ass.



Jim Baurs personal fixed gear. Sexy isnt it. I love it when any kind of bike besides a bmx one has bmx parts on it. The Mike Aitken seat is sexy, isnt it.












1 comment:

  1. DON'T DO IT! Well, I will say that it is interesting to ride a fixie. BUT... single speed is where it's at. It's faster cause you don't have to keep up the cranks (or run a higher gear, thus making hills that much more of a bitch!) and it's way more comfortable.

    Bauer's bike is how mine would be, minus the fixed drive. Flat bars, bmx seat, oh wait... mine is like that. Gotta rep the seat too! And mine will have Powerbites as soon as someone gets a new setup!!!!

    Your blog is interesting bro, keep it up. I like having stuff to read.

    ReplyDelete